Monday, July 21, 2008

There's more than one music business

I don't really care much for super-pop. I can identify a few artists from this genre of music to make it easier to understand what I'm talking about...
Usher, Kelis, Britney Spears, Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Jay-Z... etc.
I looked at the top 50 songs on imeem last week and did not recognize any of them, but I recognized the names of the artists. Most of them were signing high profile branding agreements or 360 deals with mammoth corporations in the last few months

CD sales for this type of music have gone monumentally down the toilet.

Meanwhile, I have several new bands that I have discovered over the last year or so while reading the top 100 albums chart of eMusic.
This would include,
The National, Andrew Bird, Chris Letcher, Cold War Kids, Spoon, Thomas Dybdahl and a great many other artists that you may or may not be familiar with.

The point is, that I think these artists are not losing millions of dollars (they probably didn't have them to begin with) and they are most likely making more money from their music than ever before. And they are selling ALBUMS. They are selling collections of songs to customers like me because I don't really buy singles. The album is not a dead format. The CD is not a dead format. At least not for independent songwriters who write from the heart and take the time (or have the luck) to make really great sounding records.

No comments: